Tuesday, October 5, 2010

burlap drapes...


The drapes in our living room are about 16 feet long.  That's a lot of drape.  So, when I went to buy fabric almost three years ago it didn't take me long to realize that 16 feet of drapery fabric was about $2,500 over my budget.  And it didn't really help that I was drawn to the gorgeous linen aisle, which ran about $48-$65 plus a yard.  Ah, linen.  Be still my heart.  

So, I bought the fabric I could afford.  Which was the lining fabric.  It's funny, I know, but my lining fabric drapes have served us well these past three years and they don't look half bad if you ask me.  But, the room does need more of an anchor since we have white walls, white couches and white trim.  And I also think adding a different texture would give the room the depth I want.  

About six months ago I saw a picture of burlap curtains and thought the fabric would work perfectly and, in a happy coincidence that I only wish I could say was pre-meditated, I can use my fabric lining drapes to line the new burlap drapery. 

So, what do you think?  Do you like burlap curtains?  When I was looking for images to post, I saw a lot of great examples, but I also found lots of burlap that didn't look finished enough to me.  I think the key is weighting the bottom lining so that the drapes fall nicely.  Ultimately, I think that is what is attractive about burlap curtains: taking an unrefined textile and showcasing it in a structured way.







xo,
steph





1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with what you said about the burlap and think it's a great idea! And how perfect that you already have the lining for it! ;-) Am currently saving to have two wingbacks reupholstered- want to do it in a flax linen with chocolate brown piping. Then do a fun lumbar pillow with it. Estimated fabric costs and labor costs- key word is SAVING! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...